Kurinjimala Sanctuary was notified on 6th October, 2006 vide GO (MS) NO.36/06/Forest of the Government of Kerala (Annexure I) with objective of long term conservation of plant species namely Neelakurinji (Strobilanthus kunthianus). The Sanctuary is located on the eastern slopes of the Vattavada valley of the High Ranges of the Southern Western Ghats of Kerala and shares its boundary with Kodaikanal Forest Division of Tamil Nadu. It is located 40 Kms away from Munnar town. Location map given in Map. 1. The approximate extent is 32km 2 . The area was formerly revenue poromboke in Block No. 58 of Kottakombur village and Block No. 62 of Vattavada village in Devikulam taluk of Idukki District. It was under the territorial jurisdiction of Marayur Range of Munnar Forest Division. As this area was revenue land, a significant portion of the sanctuary was encroach or obtained on fake documents by the people. A Forest Settlement Officer was appointed in 2007as per the provision contained in their wildlife (protection) act, 1972 to look into all the claims and settle the rights within the notified area. The actual extent of the Sanctuary would be determined only after settlement of rights in and over the land.
- Forest & Wildlife Department- Implementation of Contract System instead of Convenor System in Forest Department for the execution of forestry works
- Application for Eco -Restoration field camp
- The forest officials at Pampadum Shola National Park detained a truck involved in dumping alleged medical and hotel wastes.
- World Environmental day celebration-2016
- APPLICATION FOR ECO-RESTORATION CAMP
- No categories