Values of the Park
Value related to flora
- Well-protected representative example of shola eco system in Western Ghats.
- Exceptional species diversity
- Significant population of locally endemic species
- Ideal place for “in-situ” germ plasm conservation of rare and threatened species like tree ferns.
- National Park harbours a large number of Medicinal Plants.
Values related to fauna
- Exceptional species diversity of birds.
- Significant population of insects especially butterflies.
- Provides vital connectivity for animal movements.
Values related to watershed
- Conservational value associated with watershed for drinking and irrigation.
Values related to education and research
- Research and monitoring values associated with endemism, biodiversity, human-wildlife interaction etc.
- Educational value associated with nature education, nature exploration and adventure.
- Potential areas for bird watching, trekking etc.
- Potential areas for nature interpretation
- Livelihood to resource dependent communities through ecotourism.
- Ethnic tribal heritage of Muthuvan community.